Milledgeville Railway

Milledgeville Railway battery car

The Milledgeville Railway was incorporated in February 1896 by the lessees of the Georgia Railroad to operate the former transit line from Milledgeville to the state mental hospital. With branches it totaled about five and a half miles. The line was earlier operated by the Milledgeville & Asylum Dummy Railroad Company and the Old Capitol Railway. The Milledgeville Railway purchased the latter at a bankruptcy auction.

The line was abandoned in the 1960s.

Railroad tracks on South Wayne Street.

For more information, see Streetcars in Milledgeville.

1912 map (83K)

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home