Middle Georgia & Atlantic Railway
The 64-mile line from Milledgeville to Covington was built by the Middle Georgia and Atlantic Railway Company in 1890-94.
The MG&A was incorporated in October of 1889 as successor to the Eatonton and Machen Railroad Company, which apparently constructed little, if any, track. The line between Eatonton and Machen opened in 1891. The extension from Machen to Covington was completed in 1893.
The MG&A planned to build a branch line from Carmel Junction (Mansfield) to the Georgia Railroad at Social Circle, but it was never constructed.
In the 1894 edition of The Official Railway List, the MG&A reported operating 65 miles of railroad with 3 locomotives, 5 passenger cars, and 12 freight cars.
In December 1896 the Central of Georgia bought the MG&A in a foreclosure sale and operated it as its Milledgeville-Covington branch line.
The Central completed a 4-mile branch line to Porterdale on June 30, 1899.
The Central abandoned the 18 miles of line from Eatonton to Machen in 1959. Most of the remainder is still in operation. Eatonton to Milledgeville is a branch of Norfolk Southern Railway and Machen-Covington is operated by the Squaw Creek Southern.
1895 map (44K)
1895 map of projected line (102K)
1895 timetable (196K)
1911 map, then Central of Georgia (37K)
1919 map, Putnam County, then Central of Georgia (324K)
RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey