Macon & Western Railroad
In 1834, the Monroe Railroad Company began building a rail line between Forsyth, the county seat of Monroe County, and Macon, the planned northern terminus of the new Central of Georgia Railroad. The first train traveled the 25 miles between the two towns in December, 1838.
The economic depression of the early 1840s lead to the bankruptcy of the new railroad, and it was sold in 1845 to Daniel Tyler, of Norwich, Connecticut. Tyler established the new Macon and Western Railroad Company to own and operate it.
Tyler and his associates completed the 103-mile line between Macon and Atlanta in the summer of 1846, giving the latter city three railroads (the other two were the Western & Atlantic and the Georgia Railroad), with a fourth, the Atlanta & West Point soon to come. It also provided the city with a rail connection to Savannah by way of Macon.
The M&W was consolidated into the Central of Georgia in 1871-72.
Maps and Timetables:
1859 timetable (75K)
Civil War period map (68K)
1863 timetable (121K)
1870 timetable (72K)
RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey