After receiving its charter in 1859, the M&A began building a rail line from Macon towards Augusta, but progress was slowed by the Civil War and Reconstruction. Poors 1869-70 Manual reported that only two sections had been opened, the 22-mile link between Macon and Milledgeville and the
8-mile segment from Warrenton to Mayfield.
Using up to 200 convicts who were forced to grade the unbuilt portion of the line, contractor Grant, Alexander & Company brought it to completion by 1873. The company, established by John T. Grant, his son William Grant, and Thomas Alexander, had acquired a lease of the state's entire penitentiary and all of its prisoners in 1869.
At Warrenton, the northern terminus, the railroad connected with the Warren Branch of the Georgia Railroad, which joined the main line at Camak. From there, trains could proceed the remaining 40 miles to Augusta.
The Georgia Railroad and Banking Company leased the M&A in 1867, well before completion. It bought it outright in 1880 and merged it into regular Georgia Railroad operations as the “Macon Road.”
Macon-to-Milledgeville abandoned in 1985.