Macon & Birmingham Railroad
Chartered December 26, 1888, the M&B connected Macon and LaGrange. It was completed in January 1891, about two months before its builder, the Macon Construction Company, entered receivership.
The line was owned by the Georgia Southern and Florida Railroad, but the accounts were kept separate.
The M&B entered receivership in 1891 and was reorganized in 1895 as the Macon and Birmingham Railway. Never a profitable enterprise, it nonetheless continued to operate for a quarter-century. It was abandoned in 1922-23.
The railroad had a couple of nicknames, the LaGrange Route and the Pine Mountain Route, the latter for the scenic area it passed through west of Thomaston.
RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey