The Gulf Line was created in 1907 by Southern Railway to acquire and merge several small railroads in south Georgia into a small system. Among these were the Hawkinsville & Florida Southern Railway (Hawkinsville-Worth) and the Flint River & Gulf Railway (Ashburn-Sylvester). The former was signed to a long-term lease and the latter was purchased; both transactions were completed in 1907. The two lines were connected by 2.8 miles of trackage rights between Ashburn and Worth over the Georgia Southern & Florida Railway, another line controlled by the Southern.
In 1911, the Gulf Line extended its tracks to the southwest by constructing a new line from Sylvester to Camilla.
Another reorganization in 1913 resulted in the purchase and absorption
of the Gulf Line by the Hawkinsville & Florida Southern. The
H&FS continued operating under the control of the Southern Railway
until 1922 when it entered receivership and was ordered to be
sold. The southern end of the line from Camilla to Ashburn was
purchased by the Georgia, Ashburn, Sylvester, & Camilla Railway and the remainder was abandoned.