Georgia Southwestern & Gulf Railroad
This 35-mile line between Cordele and Albany was built in 1891 by the Albany, Florida, & Northern Railway. In 1895, the line became the Albany & Northern Railway and, in 1910, the Georgia Southwestern & Gulf.
A 155-mile extension from Albany to St. Andrews, Fla. was planned, but it was never built.
In 1939, the GSW&G came under the control of the Georgia Northern Railway. The company was dissolved in 1942, but the line continued operation under its earlier name, Albany & Northern Railway. It was abandoned in 1977.
Maps, Timetables, and Other Information:
1912 map (72K)
1916 map (44K)
1917 equipment list (132K)
1918 timetable (98K)
1940 timetable (152K)
The Warwick depot stood alongside the GSW&G and its successor, Albany & Northern, before it was moved to its present site on Hwy. 300.
RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey