Georgia Southern Railway
A subsidiary of Pioneer Railcorp, the Georgia Southern Railway operates three lines in Georgia:
• 30 miles between Roberta and Perry (map).
The section between Roberta and Fort Valley was built as the Atlanta & Florida Railroad in 1888. In the 1890s it was folded into Southern Railway. The section from Fort Valley to Perry was constructed in 1875 by the Southwestern Railroad, then under lease to the Central of Georgia.
• 28 miles between Dover and Metter (map).
The section between Dover and Statesboro was built by the Dover & Statesboro Railroad in 1889. The western section, from Metter to Statesboro, was constructed by the Central of Georgia and the Bruton & Pineora in 1900-01.
• 21 miles between Midville and Kirby (map).
The section between Midville and Swainsboro was built in 1887 and earlier by the Midville, Swainsboro & Red Bluff or its lumber line predecessors. The section south of Swainsboro was built in 1909 by the Georgia & Florida Railway, which also acquired the Midville-Swainsboro line. Both sections were once part of the G&F's line between Augusta and Madison, FL.
These three Georgia Southern Railway lines, previously operated as the Georgia Midland Railroad (GMR), were purchased from GMR parent Atlantic Western Transportation on December 16, 2009.
This current shortline operation should not be confused with the Georgia Southern Railroad which operated briefly in the Dalton-Rome area in the 1870s.
Reporting mark: GS
Georgia Southern Railway website
RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey
Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home