Great Walton Railroad

The Great Walton (GRWR) is a shortline railroad that has operated a 10-mile link between Monroe and Social Circle since 1987. The line was constructed in 1880 as the Walton Railroad; it later became a branch of the Georgia Railroad.

The GRWR is associated with the Hartwell Railroad and The Athens Line. Offices are in Social Circle.

From 1989 until 2009, the Great Walton leased from Norfolk Southern a 28-mile line between Machen and Covington. (Machen is a tiny community in Jasper County on the south side of slightly larger Shady Dale.) Beginning in 2009, the eastern 12.5 miles of this line (Machen-to-Newborn) was leased to Squaw Creek Southern Railroad, while the western section from Newborn to Covington became inactive in anticipation of abandonment.

The Machen-Covington line was built by the Middle Georgia and Atlantic Railway Company in 1890-94 as part of a 64-mile line from Milledgeville to Covington.

Reporting marks: GRWR.

2010 map (40K)

2000 map (48K)

Great Walton Railroad website.

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home