Greenville & Newnan Railway

Greenville, Georgia

Courthouse in Greenville

The Greenville Railway Company, chartered May 20, 1905, was organized to build a line north from Greenville to Newnan. Three months later it was sold to the Central of Georgia which completed it to Raymond (23 miles), on the Central's Griffin-Chattanooga line, and opened it for traffic in mid-1906.

The new line was an extension of the Central's Columbus-Greenville branch, a narrow-gauge route constructed by the Columbus & Rome Railway in 1885. As part of the project, the Central converted the entire line to standard gauge.

 

1910 map (64K)

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home