Georgia Pine Railway

The Georgia Pine Railway, chartered in 1895, opened its first 29 miles, from Bainbridge to Damascus, in 1898. By 1900 the railroad was operating another 10 miles of track between Damascus and Arlington. In 1901 the name was changed to Georgia, Florida and Alabama Railway.

Its shops were at Bainbridge.

Maps and Timetables:

1898 map (142K)

1900 map (88K) 

1900 timetable (79K)

Longleaf pine forests such as this once covered much of south Georgia.
(From: George Frederick Schwarz. The longleaf pine in virgin forest: a silvical study. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1907. Online at Google Books.)


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home