Georgia Nuclear Aircraft Laboratory Railroad

Georgia Nuclear Aircraft Laboratory Railroad

Established southwest of Dawsonville in the 1950s, the Georgia Nuclear Aircraft Laboratory, also known as Air Force Plant no. 67, used a 2.5-mile narrow-gauge railroad to move materials between a nuclear reactor, a "hot-cell" building, and a cooling site. The facility was built to develop a nuclear-powered airplane, but the effort was ultimately unsuccessful. The laboratory was shut down in 1971.

Georgia Nuclear Aircraft Laboratory

Locomotive and flatcar at the GNAL, ca. 1959. (From: Georgia Nuclear Laboratories Progress Report No. 1, film by Lockheed Georgia for U.S. Air Force, 1959.)

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home