Georgia & Florida Railroad (GFRR)

The Georgia and Florida Railroad Co., Inc., headquartered in Albany, began rail operations on April 14, 1995 with 131 miles of track acquired or leased from Norfolk Southern. Included were 58 miles between Albany and Sparks, 27 miles between Valdosta and Nashville, 14 miles in and around Moultrie, and 2.3 miles in Camilla.

On December 15, 1995, the Georgia & Florida Railroad entered into a contract with the Live Oak, Perry and Georgia Railroad in which G&F agreed to handle all of its railroad operations. LOPG’s rail line runs 76 miles from Adel, Georgia, to Perry, Florida, with another 6 miles from Perry to Foley, Florida.

The railroad later operated as Georgia & Florida Railnet. In 2004 it was purchased by OmniTRAX and now operates as Georgia & Florida Railway (GFRR).

(Note: This shortline should not be confused with the Georgia & Florida Railway of 1906-1963).

Reporting mark: GFRR.

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home