The GC&P was a 1906 consolidation of three short lines: the Collins and Reidsville Railroad, built between those two towns in 1896; the Reidsville and Southeastern Railroad, constructed from Reidsville to Ludowici in 1905-06; and the Darien and Western Railroad, built in 1904 between Ludowici and Darien. Principal offices were in Darien.
The railroad also had a 2-mile branch from Crescent to Belleville and a 3-mile branch from Hilton Junction to Foxtown. A September 1915 schedule indicates a 9-mile freight-only branch from Warsaw, on the Seaboard Air Line Railway, to Fairhope, a point to the north.
In March 1914, the line was extended 18 miles south from Darien to Brunswick, a project that included the construction of steel truss bridges over the Darien and Altamaha rivers. After the route was completed, the railroad formed a link in the new Quebec-Miami International Highway, using flatcars to haul automobiles across the rivers and marshes (photo).
In 1916 the railroad had nine locomotives, ten passenger cars, and 148 freight cars.
The GC&P entered receivership in 1915 and was sold in 1919. The Brunswick-Darien-Ludowici section was abandoned the same year while the line north of Ludowici remained in operation as the Collins and Ludowici Railroad.
Maps, Timetables, and Other Information:
1906 timetable (198K)
1907 map (330K)
1910 map (74K)
1915 map (86K)
1916 map (300K)
1917 equipment list (192K)
1918 map and timetable (142K)