The Florida Central & Western, established in 1882, ran from Jacksonville, FL, to Chattahoochee, FL, along a route parallel to the Georgia/Florida boundary. It was a consolidation of the Florida Central Railroad, from Jacksonville to Lake City; the Jacksonville, Pensacola, and Mobile Railroad, from Lake City to Chattahoochee; and the St. Mark's Branch, formerly the Tallahassee Railroad.
The FC&W connected with rail lines to Georgia at Jacksonville (Waycross Short Line) and at Live Oak (the Savannah, Florida & Western Florida Division line to DuPont, GA). Also, at Chattahoochee the railroad made a connection with steamboats traveling on the Chattahoochee River up to Columbus and on the Flint River to Bainbridge and beyond.
In 1884 the FC&W was merged into the new Florida Railway and Navigation Company.
1882 map (182K)
Gregg M. Turner. A Journey into Florida Railroad History. Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 2008.
F. H. Taylor and Chas. A. Choate. From the St. Johns to the Apalachicola, or through the Uplands of Florida. Florida Central & Western Railroad, 1882. Online at Internet Archive here.