Eatonton Branch Railroad
In 1853 the Eatonton Branch Railroad opened its 22-mile line between Eatonton and Milledgeville. At the latter city the line met the new Milledgeville and Gordon Railroad which connected the capital with the Central of Georgia at Gordon. Within a couple of years the two railroads merged into a single line leased to the Central.
In 1893 the Centrals lease was cancelled and the road was leased to the Middle Georgia and Atlantic Railway which incorporated it into a 64-mile line from Milledgeville to Covington.
Central of Georgia acquired the MG&A in 1897.
The Eatonton-Machen segment was abandoned in 1959. The Eatonton-to-Milledgeville section is now a part of Norfolk Southern Railway.
Civil War map (48K)
1886 map (42K)
RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey.