Dooly Southern Railway
The Dooly Southern received its charter on January 21, 1897 and completed its 9-mile line between Richwood and Pinia in August of 1898. It was operated by the Parrott Lumber Company but served as a common carrier as well as a logging road. One of its advertisements noted that it was operated for freight business, but passengers are carried on freight trains.
It was abandoned in early 1903.
The Georgia State Gazetteer of 1896 listed Penia as a place of 100 residents on the Savannah, Americus & Montgomery Railroad about five and one-half miles east of Cordele. Its businesses consisted mainly of sawmills and naval stores operations. Richwood, the community at the other end of the line, lies between Vienna and Cordele.
1900 map (18K)
1904 map (30K)
From: Official Guide of the Railways, 1906.
RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey.