Darien & Western Railroad

The Darien & Western was chartered in May 1894 as successor to the Darien Short Line, which had been sold under foreclosure. Poors 1895 Manual reported that an extension to Middleton, 32 miles from Darien, was completed in January of 1895. In 1904 the railroad was extended to Ludowici.

The line was merged into the Georgia Coast and Piedmont Railroad in 1906.

Maps and Timetables:

1895 map (26K)

1895 timetable (28K)

1900 map (206K)

1904 map (51K)

1904 timetable (88K)

1910 map (76K)

After reaching Darien, travelers could embark on the steamboat Hessie for a scenic trip to St. Simons Island and Brunswick.
From: Official Guide of the Railways, March 1900.

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey.

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home