Chartered in 1905, the DA&G was a creation of John Skelton Williams’ new Georgia and Florida Railway. Probably organized to purchase and consolidate several small existing lines, the DA&G was a short-lived system that was absorbed into the Georgia & Florida in 1907.
The first acquisition was a line from Barrows Bluff to Douglas purchased from the Wadley and Mt. Vernon in 1905. Next came the Pinebloom-to-Nashville line acquired from the Ocilla, Pinebloom, and Valdosta Railway in 1906 and a line from Broxton to Hazlehurst bought from the Ocilla and Valdosta in 1906 or 1907. Once these were in hand, the company constructed a new line from Douglas to Garrant (near West Green) as a shortcut around Broxton. The result of all of this activity was a railroad from Hazlehurst to Nashville, Georgia, that became a critical link in the Georgia & Florida line.
Maps and Timetables:
1906 timetable (437K)
1907 Hammond map (38K)
1907 Rand McNally map (266K)