After the Chattanooga, Rome & Columbus Railroad encountered financial problems as a result of the Panic of 1893, it was sold in 1897 to Simon Borg and Company and reorganized as the Chattanooga, Rome & Southern Railroad. Its tracks ran from Chattanooga to Carrollton, where it met the Central of Georgia. Along the way it passed through Chickamauga, LaFayette, Summerville, Rome, Cedartown, Buchanan, and Bremen.
Poor's Manual of the Railroads for 1898 reported that the CR&S had nine locomotives and 250 cars as follows: passenger, 7; baggage, etc., 3; freight (box, 57; coal, 117; flat, 44; stock, 1), 219: caboose, 6; other, 15.
In 1900 the CR&S purchased the Chattanooga & Durham Railroad, a 17-mile line that ran west from Chickamauga to coal mines
atop Lookout Mountain.
On May 16, 1901, the CR&S was sold to the Central of Georgia.