This 88-mile line between Columbus and Albany was chartered in 1885 as the Columbus & Florida Railway. When the charter was amended in 1886, the company was renamed the Columbus Southern Railway Company.
The road opened in April of 1890 and was soon leased to the Georgia
Midland & Gulf Railroad. The lease was cancelled the following
year, after which the railroad operated independently until 1895
when it entered receivership. It was sold to the Georgia & Alabama in 1896 and later was merged into the Seaboard Air Line
In the 1894 edition of The Official Railway List, the Columbus Southern reported operating 5 locomotives, 6 passenger cars, and 120 freight and miscellaneous cars.