Central of Georgia Railway
Fort Oglethorpe Spur Line - 1917

(From: Map of Maneuver Grounds, Chickamauga Park and Vicinity, 1917. Entire map is online at University of Alabama Map Library.)

On the above map, the Fort Oglethorpe spur line is shown near the bottom as the railroad line extending from McFarland Gap to the fort. For a short distance it ran alongside the Chattanooga Rapid Transit Company interurban line which connected Chattanooga and Rossville to Fort Oglethorpe; this is shown as the rail line running down the center of the map.

In 1953, Central of Georgia sold the Fort Oglethorpe spur to TVA, which used it to transport equipment for a new electrical substation being built about a mile north of the old parade grounds. TVA abandoned the line in the 1960s. Most of the track bed has been obliterated by today's Georgia Hwy. 2, which generally follows the old rail route. The Central of Georgia main line continues in rail use as the Chattooga & Chickamauga Railway. The old interurban line has long been replaced by Park City Road.

(See also Streetcars of the Chattanooga Area).

Fort Oglethorpe Barracks. (Library of Congress).


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey.

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home