Central of Georgia Railway
Central Junction - Oliver

This 1947 map shows the first fifty miles of the Central's line northwest from Savannah, built in the 1830s as part of its route to Macon. To the east is the much newer Savannah & Atlanta Railway, which was purchased by the Central in 1951. In the early 1960s, a new 4-mile rail link was constructed from Ardmore, a place on the S&A between Kildare and Shawnee, west to Oliver. Soon afterwards, the original line was abandoned, leaving Eden, Marlow, Pineora, Guyton, Tusculum, and Egypt without a railroad.

From: Savannah quadrangle, 1:250,000-scale topographic map. U. S. Geological Survey, 1947. Online at Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection, University of Texas at Austin.

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey.

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home