Chickamauga & Durham Railroad

The Chickamauga and Durham Railroad, chartered in 1889 as the Chattanooga & Gulf Railroad, built a rail line from Chickamauga, Georgia, to the mining town of Durham, high atop Lookout Mountain. The 17-mile route was completed in 1892. After foreclosure in 1894, it was reorganized as the Chattanooga and Durham Railroad.

In the 1894 edition of The Official Railway List, the Chickamauga and Durham reported operating 18 miles of railroad with 2 locomotives.

Two of the most notable features of the railroad have survived, the Chickamauga coke ovens and the rail bed through the scenic Lula Lake section of Rock Creek Canyon.

Maps:

1892 topographic map (387K)

1895 map (167K)

1917 map (Central of Georgia Railway, Chickamauga area)

More info at Harpswitch.com

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey.

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home