Bruton & Pineora Railway
The Bruton & Pineora was incorporated June 27, 1897 as successor to the defunct Atlantic Short Line Railway. It was controlled by the Central of Georgia Railway, which had purchased the ASLs properties at a receivership sale in 1895.
The western end of the line was the Laurens County town of Bruton and the projected eastern terminus was to be Pineora, a small community in Effingham County on the Centrals main line. (In 1895 Bruton was renamed, or re-spelled, Brewton.)
With the financial assistance of the Central, the line was extended eastward to Register by 1900. In July of that year, the Central purchased the B&P and, on January 1, 1901, acquired the Dover and Statesboro Railroad which connected Statesboro with the Centrals main line at Dover, in Screven County. On June 9, 1901, the Central opened 9 miles of track between Register and Statesboro, the last link in a 77-mile branch line from Dover to Brewton.
The plans for a line to Pineora may have been dropped because the Dover route provided access to Savannah without the expense of another bridge over the Ogeechee River.
The tracks from Brewton to Metter were abandoned in 1938. The Metter-Dover section remains in operation.
1898 Cram map (72K)
1898 Cram RR Atlas map (53K)
1898 Rand McNally map (88K)
RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey.