Brunswick & Pensacola Railroad

Okefenokee Swamp. (Photo by: Michael Lusk. Some rights reserved.)

Despite its ambitious name, the Brunswick & Pensacola was no more than a lumber line constructed in 1895-96 by the Suwanee Canal Company. It ran from Camp Cornelia, at the eastern edge of the Okefenokee Swamp, to Folkston and Bull Head Bluff on the Satilla River, a distance of 23 miles.

After the canal company failed, the line was sold in 1899 to the Isaac Joseph Iron Company of Cincinnati for salvage. Included in the sale were two locomotives, 15 cars, a sawmill, a dredge, two steamboats and other machinery.

1895 map (36K).


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey.

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home