The Blue Ridge and Atlantic Railroad Company was chartered in 1887 to connect Savannah and Knoxville by building a new railroad through the Blue Ridge mountains of Georgia, North Carolina, and Tennessee. One of the BR&A’s first actions was to purchase the existing 21-mile line between Cornelia and Tallulah Falls operated by the Northeastern Railroad of Georgia.
In the 1889 edition of The Official Railway List, the BR&A reported operating 1 locomotive, 2 passenger cars, and 2 freight cars. The president was reported as W. B. Thomas of Tallullah Falls, Ga.
In the 1894 edition, it reported operating 21 miles of railroad, 2 locomotives, 2 passenger cars, and 4 freight cars. The president's name was replaced with that of a receiver, W. V. Lauraine of Cornelia, Ga.
The BR&A had encountered financial difficulties and had entered receivership in 1892. Sold under foreclosure in 1897, it was replaced in the following year by the Tallulah Falls Railway, which was organized to take over its properties.
1892 map (44K)
1895 map (61K)
1904 map (100K)