Chartered in 1891, the Boston & Albany attempted to build a common-carrier rail line from Boston, Georgia, on the Savannah, Florida & Western, north to Albany, southwestern Georgia's principal rail center.
In the 1894 edition of The Official Railway List, the B&A reported operating 31 miles of railroad, 5 locomotives, 1 passenger car, and 49 freight and miscellaneous cars.These figures, however, apparently applied to the new Georgia Northern Railway, which had upgraded a logging road extending north of Pidcock, a community on the SF&W five miles east of Boston. The Georgia Northern reached Moultrie in 1893, while the Boston & Albany floundered and failed without having constructed any tracks.
On October 3, 1894, the Georgia Northern, which had been operated by the Pidcock family without a charter, bought the bankrupt Boston & Albany, which did have a charter. On November 22, 1894, the Boston & Albany became the Georgia Northern, satisfying the state's legal requirements that common-carrier railroads be properly chartered.