By 1859, only the section between Anderson and Walhalla had been put into operation. Substantial work had been done on the tunnels at Stump House Mountain and Dicks Creek, and many of the culverts had been completed, but much remained to be done when funding ran out. Soon afterwards South Carolina seceded from the Union, and the Civil War halted further progress.
Despite attempts after the war to get construction restarted, including one effort by the Black Diamond Railroad, the tracks never extended beyond Walhalla.
Southern Railway acquired the 34 miles of completed line in 1894, and reorganized it in 1901 as the Blue Ridge Railway. It was later consolidated into Southern.
Betty L. Plisco. The Rocky Road to Nowhere; A History of the Blue Ridge Railroad in South Carolina. Salem, SC: Blue Granite Books, 2002.
1850s map at Library of Congress
1892 map (147K)
1908 map (45K)
1906 timetable (35K)