Broxton, Hazlehurst & Savannah Railroad
Chartered in 1905, the BH&S converted the former Southern Pine Company logging tram between Broxton and Hazlehurst into a 26-mile common-carrier rail line. Shortly afterwards, it transferred the line to the Ocilla & Valdosta Railroad, which ran from Broxton to Ocilla.
In 1907, the O&V sold the Broxton-Hazlehurst line to the Douglas, Augusta & Gulf, an affiliate of the new Georgia & Florida Railway.
Also in 1907, the BH&S purchased the Ocilla & Valdosta. Because the Broxton-Hazlehurst line had been sold, the BH&S charter was now inadequate, so the Fitzgerald, Ocilla & Broxton was created to replace it.
1908 map (38K)
H. Roger Grant. Rails through the Wiregrass; A History of the Georgia & Florida Railroad.
DeKalb, IL: Northern Illinois University Press, 2006.
From: Railway Age, September 29, 1905.
From: Railway Age, April 26, 1907.
From: Railroad Gazette, July 5, 1907.
RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey.
Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home