Augusta & Waynesboro Railroad

Early locomotive

The Augusta & Waynesboro, chartered in 1838, opened its 53-mile line from Augusta to Millen in 1854. The railroad’s name was changed to Augusta and Savannah Railroad on February 16, 1856.

It was leased to the Central Railroad and Banking Company in 1862 and to the Central of Georgia Railroad on October 24, 1895. The Central acquired and absorbed the line in 1948.

1855 listing from Mitchell's new traveller's guide through the United States and the Canadas.... Online at Internet Archive here.

Maps and Timetables:

1854 timetable (65K)

1860 map (134K)


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey.

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home