Augusta Southern Railroad
The Augusta Southern was formed from the May 1, 1893 reorganization of the Augusta, Gibson, and Sandersville Railroad, which had constructed an 80-mile, 3-ft gauge line between Augusta and Sandersville in 1884-86.
The new ownership group was headed by James U. Jackson, an Augusta businessman who would later build the electric interurban line between that city and Aiken, S.C.
In the 1894 edition of The Official Railway List, the Augusta Southern reported operating 84 miles of 3-ft gauge railroad, 4 locomotives, 8 passenger cars, and 41 freight and miscellaneous cars.
The Augusta Southern was converted to standard gauge in September 1895.
In 1897 the railroad was leased to the South Carolina and Georgia Railroad, and to Southern Railway from April 1899 to April 1901. After the latter lease ended, it operated independently, but it continued to be controlled by the Southern.
The Augusta Southern entered receivership and was acquired by the Georgia and Florida in 1919. The G&F had secured trackage rights on the AS between Augusta and Keysville in 1910 as an alternative to building a parallel line.
The 57 miles of railroad between Tennille and Keysville, which constituted most of the former Augusta Southern, was abandoned by the G&F in 1934. Another former AS segment from Keysville to Hephzibah, about 10 miles, was abandoned in 1966.
1895 timetable (355K)
1908 map (48K)
1917 timetable (168K)
RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey.