Augusta & Knoxville Railroad
Built in 1881-82, the 67-mile Augusta & Knoxville connected Augusta and Greenwood, SC. In Georgia, the railroad ran north from Augusta through eastern Columbia County, crossing the Savannah River upstream of Furys Ferry Road.
A portion of the rail bed was constructed by forced labor under South Carolina's convict leasing system established after the Civil War. An 1881 financial report of the state penitentiary reported $10,398.05 owed by the Augusta & Knoxville Railroad Company to the State, in a listing under "Amount due by Lessees for Convict Hire, October 31st, 1881." (Reports and Resolutions, South Carolina General Assembly, 1882).
The A&K was leased to the Port Royal & Augusta Railway in 1883 and eventually was incorporated into PR&A successor Charleston & Western Carolina.
Maps and Timetables:
1882 timetable (22K)
1885 map (70K)
RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey.