The AV&W Railway, chartered in 1897, built a 110-mile main line from Jacksonville across the southern edge of Georgia to Valdosta, where it connected with the Georgia Southern & Florida Railway. Completed in 1899, the railroad also had some 45 spur-line miles, most of which were logging routes in southern Clinch County near the Okefenokee Swamp.
Promoted as the Jacksonville Short Line, the AV&W was purchased by the Georgia Southern & Florida in 1902.
Maps, Timetables, and Other Information:
1898 map (112K)
1900 timetable (127K)
1900 system map (304K)
1901 map (137K)
1901 equipment list (88K)