Americus & Atlantic Railroad
Incorporated in 1917, the A&A was an 11-mile line from Mata, on the Atlanta, Birmingham & Atlantic Railroad a mile south of Byromville, to Methvins, in eastern Sumter County. The railroad provided freight service only. It was abandoned in 1926.
The line was constructed as the Americus, Hawkinsville & Eastern Railway in 1915-16. It was primarily under the direction of J. S. Morton, general manager of the Georgia Lumber Company in Byromville.
1920 map (24K)
1923 map (108K)
1931 map (44K)
From: Official Guide of the Railways, April 1918.
RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey.