Albany & Northern Railway
The 35-mile line from Cordele to Albany was built between 1889 and 1891 by the Albany, Florida, and Northern Railway. In 1892 the line was leased to the Savannah, Americus and Montgomery Railway, which connected with it at Cordele.
In 1895, after the receivership and sale of the SA&M, the AF&N was split off and reorganized as the Albany and Northern Railway. Despite the extensive railroad consolidation going on at the turn of the century, the A&N remained independent until 1910, when a group of investors organized the Georgia, Southwestern, and Gulf Railroad with the goal of opening a line from Cordele to the Gulf Coast. They obtained the first 35 miles of their planned line by leasing the A&N.
Operating under both the GSW&G and A&N names, the Cordele-Albany line continued to move passengers and freight while the Gulf extension never advanced beyond the planning stage. In 1932 the GSW&G entered receivership, a status it would maintain for a decade. In 1939 C.W. Pidcock, Jr., owner of the Georgia Northern Railway, was appointed receiver, replacing W.M. Legg, one of the GSW&Gs founders. In 1942, the Georgia, Southwestern, and Gulf was dissolved and the railroad began operating once more as the Albany and Northern. It remained under Pidcocks control.
Southern Railway acquired the line in 1966 and abandoned it in 1977.
1895 map (23K)
1906 timetable (34K)
1918 timetable (98K)
1955 map (122K)
1968 timetable (28K)
Photo of Albany & Northern locomotive no. 9 at Camilla.
RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey.