Alabama & Chattanooga Railroad
As successor to the Wills Valley Railroad, the A&C completed about 230 miles of a planned 293-mile line from Chattanooga to Meridian, Miss. About 25 of these miles were in the northwestern corner of Georgia.
In 1877, the A&C was purchased by the British investors Emile Erlanger and Company and was renamed the Alabama Great Southern Railroad.
1870 map (380K)
1870 timetable (112K)
1871 map (390K)
RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey.