Abbeville & Waycross Railroad
Incorporated in 1889, the Abbeville and Waycross Railroad Company built the rail line between Abbeville and Fitzgerald in 1890-96. The 13-mile Abbeville to Bowens Mill section, built in 1890, was the first to open. A year later it was extended to Lulaville.
In 1896 railroad entrepreneur John Skelton Williams bought the A&W (which had entered receivership in 1892) extended it nine miles from Fitzgerald to Ocilla. He soon absorbed it into his Georgia and Alabama Railroad.
The tracks from Fitzgerald to Abbeville were abandoned in 1971. The Fitzgerald-Ocilla line remained in operation until 1990.
1892 map (52K)
1893 map (108K)
RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey.