Wrightsville Depot

Built in 1900, this depot served the Wrightsville & Tennille Railroad. It was given to the community in 1990 by W&T successors Central of Georgia and Norfolk Southern and rehabilitated in the mid-90s.

The depot now houses the local chamber of commerce.

Above, the depot in 1999.

Before rehabilitation.

A ca. 1915 photo of the Wrightsville depot online in the Georgia Archives' Vanishing Georgia collection raises some interesting questions. For one, is it the same building? A caption indicates that the depot shown ca. 1915 was demolished, but it appears to be the same structure shown on this page, except for the extension on the right (behind the wagon). The trackside facade seems to match, but the window and door arrangement on the end do not. Could the demolition report refer to the right-side extension, or to the building barely seen on the left side of the photo?

Wrightsville is a town of 2,220 in Johnson County, in east central Georgia.


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home