Winder Depot

The former Seaboard Air Line Railroad depot in Winder, constructed in 1910, now houses the local chamber of commerce and Main Street program office. Under the shed is Gainesville Midland No. 208, a 1930 Baldwin 2-10-0 steam locomotive donated to the community in 1959.

Winder depot view from east

The depot still has its red tile roof and chimneys.

Old postcard view from east

This old postcard shows that the door on the east end was not part of the original construction.

Old postcard view from east shows eastbound train

An eastbound train pulls into the station in this postcard view.

Under the roof overhang, a bench in the shade

The overhanging roof provides welcome shade on hot summer days.

The Gainesville Midland Railroad also had a depot in downtown Winder. It stood four blocks north of the SAL station, at the intersection of N. Broad, Midland Avenue, and N. Jackson.

Winder (pop. 14,209) is the county seat of Barrow County. It is located on
US 29 between Atlanta and Athens.

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home