Willacoochee Depot

Willacoochee depot

Built in 1907, this time-worn depot served the Georgia & Florida Railway. After being moved away from the tracks and across Wilcox Street, it was converted to private use. When these photos were made in 2007, it appeared to be vacant.

The G&F, which was later incorporated into the Southern Railway, has been mostly abandoned.

The town also had an Atlantic Coast Line depot, but it no longer stands.

Willacoochee is a town of 1,500 in Atkinson County about 40 miles west of Waycross.

Update: This depot was destroyed in a fire. It had been identified in a February 2010 planning report as a possible purchase for conversion into a community center.

The red dot shows the last location of the depot; it had been moved away from the tracks some years earlier. The G&F is shown here running NE to SW on the right side of the map. The ACL is shown parallel to and south of the main highway (US 82) through town.
(From Willacoochee, GA quadrangle, USGS, 1972.)

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home