West Point Depot

West Point's Chattahoochee Valley Railway depot was closed on December 31, 1992 after the short line railroad ceased operations. After sitting forlorn and unused for several years, it was rehabilitated for use as a visitor center and local history museum. Now exhibits tell the story of the railroad and the textile mills it served along its route in Georgia and Alabama for nearly a century.

It was the Atlanta & West Point Railroad depot before the Chattahoochee Valley leased it in 1974.

A boxcar repainted in a West Point Textiles color scheme stands at the front of the depot. The sign shows the communities along the route of the Chattahoochee Valley Railway. West Point is the only one in Georgia; the others are in Alabama.

The freight room is the oldest portion of the building, having been constructed in 1887.

Above and below, photos of the depot before it was rehabilitated.

The tracks on are the east side of the building.

An earlier A&WP depot. (From: The Heart of the South along the line of the Atlanta & West Point RR. Atlanta: Atlanta & West Point RR and Western Railway of Alabama, 1898. Online at Internet Archive.)

Online at Georgia's Virtual Vault are architectural plans for the following A&WP West Point facilities:

1899 plan for freight depot.

1900 plan for railroad offices.

1908 plan for railroad station and hotel.

1910 plan for train shed (umbrella shed).

1921 plan for rebuilt freight depot.

1930 plan for railroad hotel.

1937 plan for hotel property.

West Point is a city of 3,300 in Troup County. It lies on the Chattahoochee River at the Georgia-Alabama line.

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home