Waycross Union Station

Waycross' former Union Station is one of Georgia's largest remaining railroad stations. Built in 1911, it primarily served the Atlantic Coast Line. The city was a major junction for the ACL as well as for the earlier Plant System, which the ACL acquired in 1902.

The depot stands on Plant Avenue, named for southeastern railroad builder Henry Bradley Plant.

The trackside platform once had a long canopy.

The building's south wing was altered by a second-floor addition.

Postcard view showing the south wing before the changes.

The north wing remains much as it was originally built.

Postcard view of the station from the Phoenix Hotel.

Waycross Union Station postcard scene

"New Union Depot and Plant Avenue, Waycross, Ga."

A later view shows palms along the sidewalk.

On the southwest side of the station is the former Railway Express Agency building, restored in 2001 for meetings and banquets.

The REA Building design complements Union Station.

An older photo of the building.

spacer

1879 description of Waycross and Tebeauville

(From: Savannah, Florida and Western Railway Company. [from old catalog]. Guide to Southern Georgia And Florida, Containing a Brief Description of Points of Interest to the Tourist, Invalid Or Emigrant, And How to Reach Them. 6th ed. Savannah, Ga.: Morning News Steam Print. House, 1879. Online at HathiTrust Digital Library here).

 

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home