Warner Robins Depot
(Photo by Chris Little)
Warner Robins' Georgia Southern & Florida depot was built in 1943-44 when the place was known as Wellston. The railroad closed the depot in 1970; it is now the E. L. Greenway welcome center. A few dozen yards to the north is the former Elberta depot, moved to here a few years ago from the Houston County fairgrounds. The ca. 1918 structure will soon be rehabilitated for use as a heritage center.
This red brick Warner Robins depot replaced a smaller depot that was moved down Watson Boulevard and remodeled for the city's First Presbyterian Church.
B-24 bomber at Robins Field, 1943. Photo by Jack Delano.
Warner Robins (pop. 68,500) is in Houston County in middle Georgia. About 20 miles south of Macon, it is the home of Robins Air Force Base and the Museum of Aviation.
Information on the depot at Georgia Department of Transportation website.
RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey