Warm Springs Depot

The depot at Warm Springs is a replica of the Southern Railway station that stood here for many years. Between 1924 and 1945, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt arrived and departed at the station on his travels to and from his nearby Georgia home. Southern successor Norfolk Southern abandoned the Warm Springs line in 1988.

Warm Springs was also served by the Atlantic Coast Line. Its line is now operated by CSX.

The 1934 map above shows the Southern Railway line entering Warm Springs from the southeast, at the foot of Pine Mountain. The other railroad on the map was then the Atlanta, Birmingham & Coast. It later became Atlantic Coast Line and is now CSX.

From: Warm Springs quadrangle, 1:62,500-scale topographic map. U. S. Geological Survey, 1934. Online at Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection, University of Texas at Austin.

Warm Springs is a town of  418 people located in southern Meriwether County, about 40 miles northeast of Columbus.


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home