The 1908 Atlanta & West Point depot at Union City stands on Union Street near city hall. It was moved away from the tracks in 1984. Used for a time as a woman's club and as city hall, it now serves as a community center.
Union City is a city of 13,000 in south Fulton County, about 15 miles southwest of Atlanta. Incorporated in 1908, it was, by some accounts, named for its status as the junction of the Atlanta & West Point and Atlanta, Birmingham & Atlantic railroads. Others believe that the town was named by its founder, Drewry A. Carmichael, who successfully persuaded the Farmers Union to locate its headquarters in Union City in the early 1900s.