Tifton Depots

The former Southern/ACL passenger depot in Tifton. (2009 photo).

Tifton is fortunate to have four depots in existence, which is appropriate for a city that once had rail lines running in six different directions.

At 100 S. Central Avenue is the former union passenger depot for Southern Railway and Atlantic Coast Line. The red brick building, constructed in 1916-17, now houses the Tifton/Tift County Chamber of Commerce.

(2012 photo)

Tifton's Southern Railway depot

The pavement around the depot has been removed, giving the building a somewhat disconnected relationship to the tracks. (2003 photo).

This 1917 Sanborn map shows the location of the train sheds that stood alongside the ACL and GS&F (Southern) tracks.

Southern Railway's line through Tifton was part of its subsidiary Georgia Southern & Florida Railway. Old maps and records may use either name.

The GS&F had a freight depot across Central Avenue from the passenger station. It stood on the east side of the tracks at Third Street and Commerce Way. A parking lot is now on its site.

(2012 photo)

At Main Street (U.S. 41) and Ninth Street is the old Atlanta, Birmingham & Atlantic depot (above and below). Its distinctive corner tower was a feature that made AB&A stations readily recognizable. A 1908 photo of this building is online at the Atlanta History Center website.

(2012 photo)

(2003 photo)

(2003 photo)

The ca. 1910 Atlantic Coast Line freight depot (above) now houses the Atlantic Coastline Artists Station and the Tifton Terminal Railway Museum. (2003 photo)

Trackside. (2012 photo)

The freight room and covered platform of the ACL depot. (2012 photo).

At 121 N. Central Avenue is another depot, built in 1916 (above).
(2009 photo)

Over the front entrance. (2009 photo)

(2003 photo)

The 1917 Sanborn map for Tifton indicates the Central Grocery Company on this site. The building served as a union depot for agricultural freight.

A fifth depot (above) can be found in Tifton, although it isn't original to the city. In the 1970s, the AB&A depot at Montezuma was moved to Tifton's Georgia Museum of Agriculture & Historic Village (formerly Agrirama) where it was restored as an exhibit. (2011 photo).


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home