This little building at Thrift may be the community's freight depot or possibly a seed house for shipping cottonseed, observes architectural historian David W. Ray. He also points out that the old rail bed appears to run in front of it.
The railroad through here was constructed in 1889-91 by the Rogers & Summit Railroad or its successor, the Millen & Southern. The M&S became the Millen & Southwestern in 1897 and the Georgia & Florida in 1906. The section of the line between Millen and Garfield was abandoned in 1930, leaving Thrift without rail service.