The freight room section of the Georgia Railroad depot at Thomson dates back to 1860; the front passenger section was added later. A distinctive feature is the slight curve of the roofline seen in other Georgia Railroad depots of the period.
After a renovation in 1981, the brick-and-granite building housed the local chamber of commerce in the former passenger rooms, while the freight room was used as a community meeting space. A recent rehabilitation project, undertaken between July 2013 and April 2014, included various repairs and restoration work to maintain the structure's historical character.
Thomson is a city of 6,718 in east Georgia, about 25 miles from Augusta. It is the county seat of McDuffie County.