Tennille Depot

(Photo by Carmine Fischetti)

Tennille's ancient brick depot was constructed by the Central of Georgia in 1869. Back then, bales of cotton were loaded aboard trains here; today kaolin is the local product brought to the mainline tracks. Washington County is the Kaolin Capital of the World.

(Photo by Carmine Fischetti)

Tennille depot

The fine white clay, used in paper production and many other industrial processes, is hauled from area mines and processing plants by the Sandersville Railroad. At Tennille, the rail cars are switched to Norfolk Southern trains for shipment to further points.

Across the street is the former headquarters of the Wrightsville & Tennille Railroad, which ran south from Tennille to Hawkinsville and Eastman. The building (below) is a 1903 structure designed by Charles E. Choate, an architect known for well-proportioned and beautifully detailed buildings in several Southern states. (121 W. South Central Avenue).

(Photo by Carmine Fischetti)

The town once had a union passenger depot that served the Central of Georgia, Southern, Sandersville, and Wrightsville & Tennille.

Tennille is a town of 1,533 in Washington County, about 30 miles east of Milledgeville.

 


RailGa.com. Georgia's Railroad History & Heritage. © Steve Storey

Railroad History | The Depot List | Locomotives On Display | Odds & Ends | Sources & References | Home